battery life problem

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Fri Oct 3 14:37:45 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> | Anyone know a way to turn them off completely?
>
> If you don't have the event device nodes for them open, they do not run
> the interrupts.
>
> Use lsof -n to see who has them open.

Cheers for that, I ought to think about things before just saying them.
Given I'm running FDOM it's quite likely the gesture facility is doing
something....

Ah dammit, just re-ran powertop and it''s not doing it today. It's now at
80% Timer Tick and other processor/kernel related stuff.

For reference, to build powertop (and pretty much any other binary) you'll
need to

opkg install gcc g++ cpp gcc-symlinks make binutils binutils-symlinks
libc6-dev ncurses ncurses-dev gettext

and then

ln -s /usr/bin/libncurses.so /usr/lib/libncursesw.so

because it links ncursesw (wide character support?) and I couldn't find that
in the opkg repos. Of course you could just hack the powertop Makefile to
link to the straight libncurses. There are a few kernel parameters it
recommends, but I haven't yet got around to building my own kernel.