Backup Gordon

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Oct 11 07:13:07 CEST 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:21:48 -0700 (PDT), mrintensity
<openmoko.user at gmail.com> wrote:

> A note on the subject line:  I figured if I had questions on flashing my
> FR,
> I would use the subject line "Flash Gordon."  Instead I have a question
on
> backing up the FR. :-P
>
> When flashing, they make a big deal about having to use the the version
of
> dfu-util that goes with the distro you are flashing.  For example, to
> upgrade from om2007.2 to om2008.8 (ASU), you need to download the
dfu-util
> for om2008.8.

Umm, who is 'they' and where do they 'make a big deal'?  I've not seen it
anywhere, and can attest that I've never paid the slightest attention to
what version of dfu-util I've used.  I've flashed my FR at least 16 times,
several different distros, no problems with dfu-util or the flashing
process.

> What about backups?  I downloaded om2007.8 and its associated dfu-util,
> and
> I want to use that dfu-util to back up my current om2007.2 image.  Is
that
> doable, or do I have to download the 2007.2 dfu-util just to back up
> 2007.2?

That's a different matter - 'upload' (reading the flash memory and creating
a jffs image on the host of the rootfs) is still broken in
dfu-util.(http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/676)
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Pre-Flash_Backup covers using dfu-util or
other approaches to backup the current flash, (and warns that upload is
broken) and http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/NeoTool covers NeoTool - a handy
GUI that runs the console-only dfu-util for you.  NeoTool also supports the
tar-based backup, which is known to work reliably.