Bad blocks in NAND

Joachim Ott jo.omsl at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 23 00:51:45 CEST 2008

As I said some days ago in a discussion about flashing via dfu-util or doing
it after having booted from SD, I did it several times now during the last 2
days, and it works great. Another advantage is, after flashing the rootfs,
you can adjust settings on the newly flashed fs (copy dropbear host keys,
ssh authorized_keys, wpa_supplicant.conf and such) before booting the new
system.

However, I get this messages when erasing the rootfs:

debian-gta02:/media/mmcblk0p6/Om2008.9# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd6
Erasing 128 Kibyte @ f600000 -- 99 % complete.
Skipping bad block at 0x0f620000
Skipping bad block at 0x0f640000
Skipping bad block at 0x0f660000
Skipping bad block at 0x0f680000
debian-gta02:/media/mmcblk0p6/Om2008.9#

Is it really always 128 kB that are marked as bad block? Anybody else got
bad blocks already? It looks like dfu-util isn't reporting these errors from
flash erase.