Debian root password

Chris Jenks chris at jenks.us
Tue Sep 2 17:54:28 CEST 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, archon44 wrote:

> Chris Jenks wrote:
>>
>> I seem to have successfully installed debian on my SD card and am able to
>> boot to zhone, but when I try to ssh to root at 192.168.0.202 it won't take a
>> blank password. I am able to login to 2008.8 from the same host
>> successfully. I would try to reset the password from xterm, but no
>> keyboard appears when I press or hold the aux key! Any suggestions?
>>
> Try to ssh to your 2008.08/2007.02, chroot to microsd card filesystem
> mountpoint (for me it was /media/mmcb*) and then simply change your debian
> password. Worked for me

   This is a good solution. I was going to take it, but first I wanted to
see if I could fix the problem by connecting the external USB keyboard I
finally got a USB A - mini USB A (5 pin) adapter for. I was disappointed
that the keyboard didn't seem to get power nor did it get recognized (Fn
keys didn't work), so, not seeing a better way, I did a power cycle to
reboot and waited through the fsck. After this the keyboard still didn't
work, but then I reconnected the USB to the host I was able to shell in
using a blank password. So the password was reset from non-blank to blank
after a (second) hard reboot.
   I haven't researched the keyboard problem - I assume I need a powered
hub, but I'll read. No need to address that here.

   Chris