[2008.8] [bluetooth] No "pand" daemon?

Vasco Névoa vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt
Fri Sep 5 00:36:41 CEST 2008

Al Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2008, Vasco Névoa wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> I can't find the "pand" (Personal Area Network daemon) on my system, and
>> I can't find which package installs it.
>> I'd like to get bluetooth networking going, but its not possible without
>> "pand".
>> Was it removed from the distro? Someone has a clue for me?
>>

> hidd recently disappeared, and had apparently been deprecated for some time. I
> wonder if pand has gone the same way. It certainly looks as though there is
> now a dbus-based control method for networking as there is for input device.
> Perhaps this will be of some help:
>
> http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/NetworkConnections

Thanks. I'd never guess that.

I've tried a few things, but this whole thing is a mess.
I think whoever has the knowledge should at least post a small warning
in the wiki... and whenever they get the time, update it with the good
procedure.
Anyway, this is how far I got...

The PC host part I just followed the instructions on the wiki.
The Neo part I tried to adapt as follows:
*    /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    passkey-agent --default 0000 &
    dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.bluez
/org/bluez/hci0  \ org.bluez.Adapter.CreateBonding string:00:10:60:A6:BC:8B*
    # pairing went as expected. so far, so good.*
    dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.bluez
/org/bluez/network  \ org.bluez.network.Manager.CreateConnection
string:"00:10:60:A6:BC:8B" string:nap
*    # that last one didn't work. "Not supported". So I tried the "GN"
profile instead of the "NAP"...
*    dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply
--dest=org.bluez /org/bluez/network
org.bluez.network.Manager.CreateConnection string:"00:10:60:A6:BC:8B"
string:gn
*    #that did work. But I didn't get any network interface out of this.
ifconfig still shows the same stuff.

So... any other good hints? :)