[2008.8] [wifi] Settings / Wifi / password field does not allow pasting

Zack Mollusc zmollusc at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 07:55:15 CEST 2008

Vasco Névoa wrote:
> I have a 63 character random-generated password for my WPA network.
> The GUI asks for the password but apparently does not allow me to use
> copy-paste to insert it.
> Is there any other simple way to do this? Surely you don't expect me to
> input it by hand into Neo's GUI?!...

Hi, I can connect to my wpa with my  /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf <http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA02_WLAN#Sample_wpa_supplicant.conf> file thus:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
# WPA:
network={
       ssid="OMFGmySSID"

       proto=WPA
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=TKIP
       group=TKIP
       scan_ssid=1
       psk="omfgmysecretWPAkeyhere"
       priority=10
}

# Wildcard match for SSID (plaintext APs only). This example select any
# open AP regardless of its SSID.
network={
    key_mgmt=NONE
        priority=5
}

I have to run a script (i call mine wifi.sh)consisting of

ifdown usb0
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0
udhcpc eth0

in order to get it to dhcp from the router. ie i power up the phone,
open a terminal window and run the above wifi.sh script and wait
(sometimes for a few minutes) until it discovers the ip settings from
the router.

This little shell script gets me onto my wpa router or any open router
that is available.

Please don't ask me for details as I am a non-programming nitwit
cobbling stuff out of other people's help files.

Good luck.