Battery discharging while plugged in

Edgar D' Souza edgar.b.dsouza at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 08:23:39 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Dale Maggee <antisol at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently when I have my freerunner plugged into USB, it will charge to
> 100% and then start (slowly) discharging. If I unplug the USB cable and
> plug it back in, it charges back up to 100 percent, then starts
> discharging again.
>
> any Ideas?

ONLY an idea, no factual knowledge :) but:
Perhaps the charging circuitry is flipped off when the battery reaches
100% reported charge level, and then the phone is running off of
battery, causing the slow discharge you see? When you unplug and
replug, since the battery is below 100%, the charging circuit is
turned back on till battery level once again reaches 100%? Think this
is the explanation? Have you tried unplugging the phone when it hits
100% batt charge, and leaving it unplugged, and seeing if it maintains
the same rate of discharge?
Are you in a good signal coverage area, or does the phone have to
'shout' to talk with the tower (presuming your GSM is on)? When I'm in
low-signal areas, the battery discharges faster. Been that way for my
Nokia (past) and Motorola (present) phones too.
What about other chipsets - Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi? Are they powered
off, or are they on? Might be contributing to battery drain...

HTH
Ed.