Battery discharging while plugged in

Edgar D' Souza edgar.b.dsouza at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:30:48 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Dale Maggee <antisol at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Yes, this sounds like the correct explanation - it stops charging once
> it hits 100%.
>
> When I have it unplugged, it SEEMS to discharge faster, but this may be
> due to usage
[...] I'll do some more testing by unplugging it and putting
> it on the desk while i'm not using it, and report back ]
[...]
> It used to just stay at 100% when left plugged in, so I'm guessing that
> one of the updates (probably the kernel? possibly around the time we
> started using the 'aux' led to indicate charging) has changed this.

Hmmm... I suppose there's a good reason for that, not being as aware
of battery tech as I ought to be :-) AFAIK, Li-Ion batteries don't
suffer from the "memory effect", so I don't really see what harm would
be done by keeping a constant trickle charge going, sufficient to
offset power demands from the hardware.

Just for the list's info, though - if this is a software issue, would
you mind posting which kernel/rootfs versions you're using?

Thanks,
Ed.