Battery discharging while plugged in

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Fri Sep 5 16:10:20 CEST 2008

On Friday 05 September 2008 09:51:34 Dale Maggee wrote:
> USB cable connected to computer, not the charger.

See if you have the same problem with the official charger.

> > Is the phone on and unsuspended the whole time you're charging?
> >

> yes, using 2007.2's "dim only, don't lock" option, so most of the time
> the screen is turned off, but the phone is not suspended. I don't use
> suspend.

.
.
.

> the way I'm plugging it in hasn't changed since It used to charge to
> 100% and stay there.

My theory isn't so good then.. but it's still worth looking in to whether you're drawing the required current.

> erm, i don't know how to tell for sure

This is a Freerunner right?

Try this:
cat /sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/charger_type

The far right should be the amperage that the charger is currently set to draw.  More details (and other things in sysfs you may want to examine) here:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA02_sysfs

If you're plugged directly into the host, you should be getting 500mA, assuming your operating system is performing power negociation properly.  Hubs can be inconsistant unless they have external power.

Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name