Battery discharging while plugged in

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Fri Sep 5 17:37:35 CEST 2008

Dale Maggee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently when I have my freerunner plugged into USB, it will charge to
> 100% and then start (slowly) discharging. If I unplug the USB cable and
> plug it back in, it charges back up to 100 percent, then starts
> discharging again.

That might be normal - the charger in the PCF50633 shuts off the charge
current once the battery is full, and turns it on again when the voltage
falls below a threshold. It seems that it can discharge quite a bit
before charging switches back on - in one test my battery got down to
around 75% before it started to charge again.

The GSM modem draws current directly from the battery so this will cause
the battery to discharge when the charger is off, even when the rest of
the phone is powered by USB.