Problems trying to connect via ssh on FSO milestone 2

Edgar D' Souza edgar.b.dsouza at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 07:26:16 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:07 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co> wrote:
[...]
> usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  direcciónHW 0E:8D:A0:04:CF:A4
>          inet addr:192.168.0.200  Difusión:192.168.0.255
> Mask:255.255.255.0
>          inet6 addr: fe80::c8d:a0ff:fe04:cfa4/64 Scope:Link
>          UP DIFUSIÓN CORRIENDO MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:214612 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:1 errors:77 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          colisiones:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:90 (90.0 b)
>

> and this is my /etc/network/interfaces on Desktop:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>

> #Conexion al Freerunner
>
> iface usb0 inet static
>        address 192.168.0.202
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        network 192.168.0.0
>        post-up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s
> 192.168.0.0/24
>        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>        post-up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
> /etc/network/interfaces (END)

Are you sure this worked previously? Looks to me like it shouldn't :-)
Is the part below "#Conexion al Freerunner" the interfaces file **on
the phone**? The IP address is certainly what the phone is supposed to
use by default. If you have set up this IP address on your desktop
("host") side of the USB networking connection, then no communications
will be possible if both ends of the connection have the same IP
address.
The post-up commands in this block should be run on your desktop host,
yes... but the IP address there is the wrong one, to the best of my
knowledge.
On the other hand, your ifconfig output shows a correct IP address of
192.168.0.200... so your post is quite confusing to me :-)

I would strongly recommend you check your configuration with the
instructions at
   http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Networking#Openmoko_Networking_Setup
At least you need to change that IP address in your desktop interfaces
file to 192.168.1.200...
Also pay attention to the Firewall Issues section in that page, since
I have made the same mistake in the past - I have had iptables rules
blocking packets from the phone...

Hope this helps
Ed.