Duplicates - they won't be fixed on the server, so fix it locallyor live with it

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Thu Sep 11 03:47:47 CEST 2008

Joel Newkirk wrote:
> I've built and administered dozens of mailservers at ISPs, processing at
> one point over a million SMTP connections a day, so I've got some idea how
> 'hard' the problem is.  I also know what happens to servers and their
> resources when they're overtaxed.  But even from a more general
> perspective, hiding a problem never makes it go away.
>
> I realize this thread is utterly off-topic of Openmoko support, and believe
> me I was hesitant to bring it up again for that reason.  But it really DOES
> need to be fixed, and this list is a reliable way of reaching several
> persons at Openmoko, persons who presumably have observed the effect
> themselves and can grasp the problem.
>
> Even with every message in this thread, it's still less than the number of
> duplicate messages received in a day...  ;)  And if your mail reader is
> advanced enough to offer duplicate-removal, it likely lets you ignore
> selected threads as well.

The point is that instead of endlessly discussing this on the list, where
nobody on the list can actually do anything directly about it, people with
experience such as yourself should contact the administrators of the
Openmoko mail infrastructure directly and fix it in private.

If the Openmoko mail administrators are not willing to even talk to you,
then there is even *less* chance that it will ever get fixed, and so
discussing it on the list is even less useful.

-- Rod