Revive Freerunner with USB power?

Edgar D' Souza edgar.b.dsouza at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:09:45 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:42 PM, William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> 1 out of every 3 or so nights, I wake up (~6-8hrs) and find the FR
> dead. :(  Only GSM is running and its on dim&lock
>
> The battery is always fully charged when checked just before I retire.
>
> In some cases I have left it on charge, confirmed its charging and still
> wake to a dead phone.

Perhaps the thread at
http://lists.openmoko.org/nabble.html#nabble-td840534|a840534 would
prove informative to you? If your battery is fully charged/almost full
before you head for bed, then it is possible that it reaches a
fully-charged state and begins to discharge soon after... which means
that it has ?8? hours (dunno how long you sleep :) ) to discharge;
while I have read estimates of battery life being around 8 hours, it
may be less if you have WiFi, GPS, BT *and* GSM switched on... even if
you have a superb GSM signal in your bedroom, possibly WiFi and GPS
could have bad reception, causing even more power usage.

I'm no software guru at all, but the import of bug reports and mails
on this list seem to indicate (correct me if I'm wrong, please,
people!) that the logic of whether to switch the charging circuit on
is determined:
a) on boot
b) on detecting plug-in of a power source to the USB connector

A third case should probably be added - if battery voltage (or charge
percentage) drops below a specified number, check if the USB power
source is still connected; if so, flip it on again, and let the
battery charge.

This, of course, is assuming I have the problem description correct :-)

Cheers,
Ed.