[2008.8+] Audio issues.

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 01:27:06 CEST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008, Armin ranjbar wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:24:44 +0100
>
> Al Johnson <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Audio quality is still CRAP !
> >
> > Thanks for your detailed response. It really helps narrow down the cause
> > of your problem.
>
> well , isn't it clear ?
>
> Audio quality under Any player , under Om2008 and Om20087 using headset is
> Simply CRAP because of noises and Very bad quality , do you need any more
> detail ? :)
>
> ps: this is simply the verbose mode of last message .

That's a definite improvement, yes :) Now I know you're not complaining about
echo, buzz or low volume levels during phone calls, or only getting sound in
one ear as the original poster was, so we're making progress. I know that
I've managed to get reasonable playback quality through the headset without
too much effort, the only real problem being a lack of bass due to the small
output coupling caps, but I know about that when I bought it. Now if we can
work out what we're doing differently we might be able to find the cause and
solve your problem.

I've just tried with the FDOM 20080913 image since it's what I've just flashed
to the phone. No changes so far, so this should be reproducible. I have an
mp3 on the flash card, so:

plug in the headset
Now in the terminal:
  alsactl -f /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/headset.state restore
  mplayer /media/card/audio/tool/1000_days.mp3

It's a bit loud, so turn it down using alsamixer in a new tab in the terminal.
Sound is lacking bass and obviously suffering from low quality earbuds, but
no worse than I would expect with a headset of that quality. No unusual
noises. When I get the chance I'll knock up an adaptor and try it with my
headphone amp and HD600s to see what it's really capable of. The mp3 is a CD
rip encoded with lame --alt-preset standard, so highish bitrate VBR.