A2DP direct?

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 02:16:47 CEST 2008

Daniel

A few specialized bluetooth adapters have a2dp encoding/decoding that
executes on-chip. These are typically embedded in a headset or a
transmitter dongle. FR does not use one of these chips, so it has to
happen on the cpu.

There are a few bt headphones that have mp3 decoders on board and
there's been some work to make the gstreamer plugin take advantage of
it. That would sidestep the issue nicely by sending the raw mp3
straight to the headphones if it were worked out completely.

Brad

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Daniel Benoy <daniel at benoy.name> wrote:
> From what I've read, if you use a bluetooth headset, the sound and the bluetooth will communicate directly with eachother, and you need only alter the alsa mixer settings to move the sound from one to the other.
>
> Is it possible to do the same thing with A2DP?  At present, I'm enjoying listening to podcasts with my A2DP headphones and my freerunner, but if ever I use the CPU for anything serious the sound gets really choppy.  It'd be nice if there was some hardware solution.
>
> --
> Daniel Benoy
> http://daniel.benoy.name

Brad Midgley