enlightenment crashes

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 05:32:06 CEST 2008

2008/9/26 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>:
>> is anyone else getting a lot of enlightenment crashes? my freerunner's
>> virtually unusable because of them - it usually recovers after the
>> crash, though not always, but it takes over a minute to sort itself
>> out. they usually happen whenever i use a qtopia app - messages is the
>> worst, but also contacts and dialler cause problems. i'm running the
>> stable branch, with most recent updates
>
> are you sure it's enlightenment and not qpe? zecke used the same "white box of
> death" code i have for e for catching qpe crashes and restarting it. carefully
> read the dialog. (i already had one person complain about e crashes when it
> actually was qpe. e also doesn't take a minute or so - e takes in the range of <
> 10 seconds (more like 5) to completely restart itself, which is why i wonder if
> you read the dialog. :)

you're more than likely right, i found this bug a few moments ago
which looks similar to the problem i'm getting:
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1767

i probably exaggerated - it does re-start pretty quickly (approx 10
seconds), but occasionally the whole system seems to hang and not
accept any input after that. occasionally i need to reboot completely,
mostly when i'm trying to read a text message

ah, it just did it:
"Enlightenment Error"
This is very bad. Enlightenment SEGV'd

This is not meant to happen and is likely a sign of a bug in
Enlightenment or the libraries it relies on. You can gdb attach to
this process now to try debug it or you could exit, or just hit
restart to try and get your desktop back the way it was.

Please compile everything woth -g flags in your CFLAGS

(F1) Recover (F2) Exit