[SHR-testing] where to get the 'nice' binary

Konstantin Chaosspawn23 at gmx.net
Thu Apr 9 21:11:50 CEST 2009

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I hope someone can help me with that. I'd love to raise the nice-value
>> of apps I start (for example mplayer), but I can't find the nice
>> binary on SHR testing.  Any hints as to where to get it? In
>> Ubuntu/Debian, it's in the package coreutils, if that helps, but
>> I didn't find a similar package in the SHR repositories...  Any help
>> is greatly appreciated :)
>
> In such distributions, I'd expect it to be built into `busybox'.
> So try to run `busybox' and see if `nice' is listed as one of the
> commands that are built into it.  If yes, then "busybox nice -N <cmd>"
> should do the trick.  If not, you'll either have to get another build of
> busybox that includes `nice', or install Debian's `nice' binary (or
> build your own).  Another option is to use start-stop-daemon which
> accepts a -N argument.

Interesting - busybox in shr testing and unstable (upgraded today)
doesn't seem to have builtin 'nice' functionality, but contains 'renice' - weird ;)
Anyway, I'll go looking for a source tarball of 'nice' now, as I really would
like to avoid building busybox... the last time I fiddled with core system
utilities on my fr, it broke GSM on my SHR testing - and that was just by
installing packages from the official repository ;)

Anyway, thanks for your help so far :)

>         Stefan

Regards,
Konstantin