OM2008.12 - basic usage instructions?

halbtaxabo-om at yahoo.com halbtaxabo-om at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 22:34:22 CEST 2009

The first thing I did wth my Freerunner after getting it charged, finding how
to enter the PIN for the SIM, etc was to flash the 2008.12 uImage
and rootfs from:
http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/releases/Om2008.12/

So I'm running a more stable system than the one that was preloaded,
but the downside is that none of the instructions on
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_your_Neo_FreeRunner
seem applicable. Quoting from that page:
'Openmoko starts by displaying the "Today" page, which is your home
page. Icons in
the top row indicate the status of the phone. The bottom
row consists of three tabs.
The tab with a house on the left leads to
the "Today" page you're viewing now....'

A photo of the screen is attached. It's nothing like that. It shows the time and
battery status, and icons for 6 apps. That's it.

How, for example, do I get to a shell prompt?

Presumably I can ssh into the device over a USB connection. But ssh requires a user name and
a password. What are they? I don't see how to find out what user names are defined, or how
to reset passwords, except by getting to a shell prompt.

I think sections 4 and 5 of the "Getting started" document (i.e. most of the document) need to be
rewritten, unless there's already an updated version on some page I don't know about.
Yes, I know this is community-supported stuff and actually I'd be happy to make a start on that
-- but first of all I need to know how to find my way around the thing!

Searching through the archived mailing lists, i see that some people think that other
distros - SHR or FSO - are "better" than om2008.12. Is there a consensus on this,
or is it just a matter of personal taste?

Nick