No GSM. Suspect dead Calypso. What to do?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sat Apr 11 13:29:26 CEST 2009

danek <daniel at digsoc.com> writes:
> 4. Since it took a while to get socat sorted, and I wasn't sure what
> you meant when you said Calypso goes to sleep "very fast" (goes to
> sleep after being powered on? in between commands? didn't know.) I

If you give a pause when entering the commands it sleeps. The next
command will then wake it up but it won't parse that first command.

> Neo: AT-Command Interpreter ready
> Me: ATE1
> Neo: //nothing ...
> Me: ATE1
> Neo: ATE1
> OK
> Me: AT+CFUN=1
> Neo: AT+CFUN=1 // pause for a couple of seconds
> ERROR
> // at this point, i don't know what has gone wrong, so I keep giving commands anyway...
> Me: AT+CPIN="4747" // i don't normally use a SIM pin, but i do like the number 47, so I set this SIM pin on my dumbphone. When I enter it when QPE asks me, it's happy. When I enter something else, it's not. So I'm assuming the Neo is working correctly with the PIN.
> Neo: AT+CPIN="4747"
> OK
> Me: AT+CPIN?
> Neo: AT+CPIN?
> +CPIN: READY
>
> OK
> Me: AT+COPS
> Neo: AT+COPS
> OK
> AT-Command Interpreter ready
> //It looks like it reset itself. I try dialing anyway...

Everything looks normal here except the reset. Can you double check
that you don't have any other software that could write to the
power_on (or pwron) node of gsm in /sys?

If this indeed is a real reboot of the calypso chip then we'd really
like to see calypso debug output (you need to construct a cable to
capture it, do you have electronics experience?).

> Me: ATD+1XXXYYYZZZZ // this is a US telephone number, phone sitting next to me

Yeah after reset it obviously looses registration to network.