No GSM. Suspect dead Calypso. What to do?

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sun Apr 12 07:05:15 CEST 2009

Am Sa  11. April 2009 schrieb Timo Juhani Lindfors:
> danek <daniel at digsoc.com> writes:
> > 4. Since it took a while to get socat sorted, and I wasn't sure what
> > you meant when you said Calypso goes to sleep "very fast" (goes to
> > sleep after being powered on? in between commands? didn't know.) I
>
> If you give a pause when entering the commands it sleeps. The next
> command will then wake it up but it won't parse that first command.
Give
root at om-gta02:~# mickeyterm -c
<----------- Mickey's Term V2.9.1 @ /dev/pts/1 ----------->
AT-Command Interpreter ready

ATE1       (((this one invisible, you need to type blind.
                   repeat if you don't get "OK")))
OK
at%sleep=1
EXT: I

OK

ATE1 is enabling instant echo from calypso, which I find much more convenient
(same as the char-wise input by -c parameter to mickeyterm)
at%sleep=1 stops the annoying 10sec timeout that makes you enter every command
twice.

All this on GSM-flashing uSD-image booted from uSD, login via ssh.
you might want to
root at om-gta02:~# ps x
 1645 ?        S      0:00 /bin/sh /etc/rc5.d/S99flash-moko start
root at om-gta02:~# kill 1645
to stop the gsm-flashing process (if you're sure FLUID isn't just about to
flash the GSM-FW. I.e: if it shows either "Bootloader: (reset target)"
or "Program: (0 sectors, 0*8k=0k) () ok" it's absolutely safe to kill the
flashing process)

> Everything looks normal here except the reset. Can you double check
> that you don't have any other software that could write to the
> power_on (or pwron) node of gsm in /sys?
>
> If this indeed is a real reboot of the calypso chip then we'd really
> like to see calypso debug output (you need to construct a cable to
> capture it, do you have electronics experience?).
>
> > Me: ATD+1XXXYYYZZZZ // this is a US telephone number, phone sitting next
to me

> Yeah after reset it obviously looses registration to network.

I really wonder whether your battery is ok. You know modem is powered from
battery and when it starts to transmit for registering to the network it
demands quite some power from bat that can't be provided by bat-charger chip
PMU. So it's very likely modem would reset due to brownout as soon as it
tries to register to network.
Please try and find a spare bat (see wiki for compatible bat e.g. from nokia
if you can't manage to get a GTA02-bat). See if modem behaviour changes
significantly with new bat.

I'm really sorry you have such an extended period of problems with your FR's
modem. Hope we will track it down now.

HTH
cheers
jOERG