[Debug Board] Lauterbach / Trace32 / JTAG

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 20 17:15:33 CEST 2009

Am Mo  20. April 2009 schrieb J Baart:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently working on a bootloader for the neo freerunner. I can't get
> gdb completely working so I'm looking for another way to debug. However I do
> have a Lauterbach. When I connect the Lauterbach to the 20pin JTAG connector
> on the debug board (v3) I cannot power on the freerunner. When I connect an
> usb adapter to power the debug device, the freerunner will power on. I can
> attach the device with Trace32 but when it tries to bring up the system it
> gives some error messages like: "emulation reset detected". I used a Trace32
> file that I downloaded from the Samsung website to do the basic init of the
> s3c2442 so that shouldn't be the problem.
>
> Now I'm not sure if it's possible to use the debug board to connect a
> Lauterbach. It seems like the pins are connected correctly and I don't think
> that an external power source should be connected.
>
> So my question is: Is there someone out there that got a Lauterbach working
> in combination with the debug board? Or is there someone that can tell me if
> it's possible to use a Lauterbach in combination with a debug board.

As I get it you're hooking a hw-jtag-debugger (Lauterbach) to the
20pin-post-connector of debug-board to access FR. This connector is not
designed to adapt an external jtag-debugger to FR, instead it's supposed
usage is to connect other jtag-targets to debug board and use the jtag<->USB
gate on debug board to run a jtag-sw-debugger controlling either the FR or
any of those other jtag-target-devices connected via 20-post.
Your connection might fail due to USB-chip creating undefined load on the
jtag-lines from Lauterbach to FR.

Hope I got it right when trying to understand what you intended to do.
cheers
jOERG