Problems with broken distro and AUX

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 12:19:42 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 11:47 +0100, Patryk Benderz wrote:
> [cut]
> > I'm so sorry. Apparently Reply just reply to newsgroup instead of author
> > if used on NNTP.
> AFAIK this is correct behaviour. That depends on configuration of
> mailing list. This one has correctly set up "Reply-to" header field,
> which points to support at lists.openmoko.org . Thus by hitting reply
> button, you answer to mailing list. Probably there are other ways, but
> if you want to answer to priv, hit reply-to-all and delete all other
> recipients.

But I'm using NNTP transport. Even in such case it should use
support at lists.openmoko.org instead of
gmane.comp.handhelds.openmoko.user. That was bug of mailing software and
I've reported it.

About Reply-To header. Such configuration is less usable
(http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html). I have now 2 buttons
which do exactly the same. What worst one of them changes behaviour -
either it post to author (on some mailing lists and all other mails) or
to group (on other mailing lists).

Additionally it violates RFC 2822 (point 3.6.2): "When the "Reply-To:"
field is present, it indicates the mailbox(es) to which the _author_ of
the message suggests that replies be sent." (my underline) and therefore
cannot by stated as 'correct' (for example - I don't intend to recive
private mails on list so my messages should not have it included). RFC
2369 specifies correct headers (namly List-Post) and they should be used
instead.

Regards