Distro?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 13:12:10 CET 2009

On Sunday 01 February 2009, Seth Rothenberg wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I'll be travelling and thought I would bring along FR.
> I'm considering which distro to bring.

I have most of this working with FSO Milestone 4.1 plus packages from
http://openmoko.truebox.co.uk/repos/mazikeen/fso-testing/ipk/
You can safely add this as a repository for FSO.

Debian will probably do nicely as well, but I haven't tried it.

> I hope to have
> *phone - even if it's just to know when I
> have to find a land line to call home.
> I can't access the SIM until I get there.

Make sure you update the gsm firmware to moko10 for widest SIM compatibility
if you haven't done so already.

> *notepad - just something to reduce lost paper

I use a combination of the sketchbook app from FSO and abiword from the repos
mentioned above.

> *wifi - possible?

I do this manually using the same manual wpa-supplicant configuration I
originally used under 2007.2. It should still be in the wiki.

> *vpnc - google seems to say, I need debian.

I don't have a package for this. If nobody else has built it then debian may
be your only answer.

> That's OK with me if it has the phone apps.
>
> gps (I can dream, can't I?)

Dream? That's probably the easy bit! Zhone can give you basic location.
Tangogps works nicely with tiled maps, and navit does quite well with vector
maps. Tango looks prettier, but the maps take up much more space. Just make
sure you get a recent navit package from:
http://download.navit-project.org/navit/openmoko/svn/