Distro?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 14:39:22 CET 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009, Seth Rothenberg wrote:
> Another follow-on question.
> It appears that the phone I am using now
> does not have the capacitor fix.
>
> I have 2 questions:
> 1. is the software patch available for
> various distros, eg, SHR?

It's been in the kernel for a long while now. It is as effective as the
hardware fix, possibly more so. With a favourable satellite constellation I
get ~40s TTFF from cold, even with SD activity. Any recent distro should have
it.

With FSO/SHR you might see problems related to loading almanac, ephemeris and
time when powering up the GPS. The docs suggest that even with incorrect or
outdated data the TTFF should be no worse than an unaided start, but in
practise it seems that it can cause significant delays. Some versions of ogpsd
have had significant problems in this respect. Make sure your time and
timezone are set correctly as this can slow things down too.

> 2. Is the hardware fix documented
> for DIY?

I think so, but it is completely unnecessary with a recent kernel.