[2008.12] no gsm after little changes

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Wed Feb 4 22:22:09 CET 2009

Hi!

I'm the guy behind Kustomizer
(http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Kustomizer) and I have some serious
issues with GSM - it doesn't work.

I think it all comes down to at /etc/X11/Xsession.d/89qtopia.

Some tests I've made:

It all starts with a blank 2008.12 that's started & restarted (to be
able to ssh in).
ssh in, change cd /opt/Qtopia/etc/default/Trolltech/Storage.conf to
http://kurppa.fi/freerunner/Storage.conf
The difference is that in my version I've prevented qpe from scanning
the files on the µSD card - having some gigs of Tangogps png tiles
there kills the phone, qpe takes 98-100% of cpu.

Then I've done these tests:

 +storage -> gsm OK
 +storage  +gprs -> gsm fail
 +storage +illume&89qtopia -> gsm fail, then orig.89qtopia -> gsm OK,
then 89qtopia -> gsm fail
 +storage +gsm0710muxd +illume +89qtopia -> gsm OK!!!!

 +storage +gsm0710muxd +illume +89qtopia +qprs -> gsm OK!
 +storage +gsm0710muxd +illume +qprs +89qtopia.advanced -> gsm OK!!!!

 +storage +illume + 89qtopia -> FAIL

 With kustomizer_devel: +storage +gsm0710muxd +illume +qprs
+89qtopia.advanced -> fail
 With kustomizer_devel: +storage +gsm0710muxd +illume +qprs + manual
89qtopia.original -> fail
 With kustomizer_devel: +storage +gsm0710muxd +illume +qprs + manual
89qtopia -> fail
 With kustomizer_devel: +storage +gsm0710muxd +illume + 89qtopia -> fail
 With kustomizer_devel: +storage +illume + 89qtopia -> fail
 With kustomizer_devel: +storage  +illume + manual 89qtopia.original -> fail
 With kustomizer_devel: +storage (without restart) +illume + 89qtopia
+ manually kill qpe  -> fail

kustomizer_devel = http://www.kurppa.fi/freerunner/kustomizer_devel

#STORAGE means Storage.conf as described above

#GPRS
cd /
wget http://users.tkk.fi/~tajyrink/moko/openmoko-gprs.tar
tar xvf openmoko-gprs.tar
rm openmoko-gprs.tar
wget http://www.kurppa.fi/freerunner/89qtopia.advanced -O
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/89qtopia

#ILLUME&89qtopia
opkg install illume-config
cd /etc/X11/Xsession.d
mv 89qtopia /home/root/89qtopia.backup
wget http://www.kurppa.fi/freerunner/89qtopia
opkg install illume-config-illume
rm -rf ~/.e/e/config/illume
echo 'E_PROFILE="-profile illume"' > /etc/enlightenment/default_profile
rm /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/dropshadow -rf

#GSM0710MUXD
opkg install gsm0710muxd

#orig.89qtopia
going back to the original version of 89qtopia

#89qtopia.advanced
Includes GPRS-stuff, see
http://kurppa.fi/freerunner/89qtopia.advanced

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
How can I prevent qpe from scanning the card? Is killing it okay,
should it recover on next start? Renice isn't enough. Maybe unmounting
the card?
Can someone see something wrong in the 89qtopia files or Storage.conf?
What's the role of qpe, what is it actually? I see that it has
something to do with indexing files as well as the gsm stuff, is this
correct? No qpe -> no gsm?

I really wish this would be a bit easier and parts would be more
stable, I've been reflashing the phone about 20-30 times during the
last two days and it really starts getting on my nerves. So all help
is really appreciated :)