Updating an old GTA01 (Neo 1973)

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Feb 16 16:40:06 CET 2009

Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Well, I checked below, but I am still a bit lost / confused. What I find
> there:
>
> 1. lowlevel_foo-gta01bv?-*.bin
>
> What's that?

AFAIK only for initialisation. Don't need to flash this anywhere.

> The different versions belong to different hardware releases of the
> GTA01, I guess. AFAIK the version of the device which got shipped to
> most people is GTA01BV4? So in that case I would use
> lowlevel_foo-gta01bv4-*.bin. I indeed wonder what will it into 280 / 320
> bytes ...

No, ignore it.

> 2. u-boot-gta01bv?-*.bin
>
> I guess this is the boot loader? Again, one has to choose the version
> corresponding to the actual hardware revision, I guess.

Yes.
RTFM This is extensively covered in the WIKI
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_Neo_1973

> 3. uImage-2.6.??-oe?+*.bin
>
> Just guessing ... Are these different kernel images?

Yes.
RTFM This is extensively covered in the WIKI
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_Neo_1973

> 4. modules-2.6.??-oe?*-r1-om-gta01.tgz
>
> So I guess these are modules for the respective kernels, but why are
> they a separate .tgz file? I guess this is *not* to be flashed with
> dfu-util, is it?

You do not need them.
Just flash the right kernel for your rootfs image.
It is always documented which kernel should be used. (Usually the latest
in the same dir)

> 5. fso-console-image / fso-image
>
> Is this the userland? If yes, why are there two different formats
> (.jffs2 and .tar.gz) and how would I load either on onto my device?

.ffs2 is the root image to flash on your device.
.tgz is the root filesystem as tar as you would need for booting from SD
and if you want to modify the filesystem prior to flashing.

> So on my original question, updating my old Neo 1973, I guess I would:
>
> 1. Flash lowlevel using dfu-util?
No
> 2. Flash u-boot using dfu-util?

Yes, but be careful.

> That should give me a current boot loader again, hopefully, which can
> deal with recent images.
>
> 3. Flash uImage using dfu-util?
>
> Then ... ?

RTFM