BrokenMoko (burnt)

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Tue Feb 24 02:56:30 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:22:24 +0100
Sebastian Spaeth <sebastian at sspaeth.de> wrote:

> My FR's battery didn't recharge although I had it plugged in all
> night. When I removed the cover I saw why, teh SIM card was partially
> molten and the moko burnt below the SIM card. (see image:
> http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8655/mokoburned.jpg)
>
> It's an GTA02 bought Dec 28th 2008, and had never done any hardware
> tinkering with it, so I'll return it to the dealer. Just wanted to let
> you know that while I think that the device is hot, it should not
> become hot...
>
> spaetz

Wow. The remarkable part of it IMHO is that the FR is almost entirely
free of components right there.  There's a small nearly-empty space
between the USB port and the vibe motor which lines up with the burnt
spot on the SIM.  Looking at the component placement diagram and my
own board photos, I'd guess that B4902 is the culprit - it's located a
few mm away from that end of the SIM and is pretty much centered in the
width of the SIM.  (and it sits on USB VBUS it seems)