Solar Moko Idea

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:14:37 CET 2009

Paul,

I'm not sure about idle current draw for FR. I only have a neo and
while it can apparently suspend just fine, it's the waking up part
that is problematic.

I used a large (25W) flexible solar panel on a several-day backpacking
trip. I charged handheld walkie-talkies, nokia n810, my brother's
pocketpc, and neo all at once in the morning. Sadly, the neo, with
suspend disabled, was running down after just a few hours.

I suspect even FR needs to be more power optimized to compete with the
most power miserly devices out there and to make good use of solar.

Brad

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Paul <paultsai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brad,
>
> How much does the openmoko need to run in standby?  I am pretty sure I have
> been able to charge my battery using only 100mA, it did take a while.  Then
> I see devices like the following which produces up to 9.5v at 100mA which
> tells me that it may be possible to charge the openmoko.
>
> http://www.mountainwindandsun.com/sili16635.html
> My intention is not to replace the need for conventional chargers, simply
> add in a feature where if I'm outdoors in the sun a lot, I would need to
> charge my phone less.  for instance, if I am on a beach on vacation, it
> would be cool to have my phone last the full day instead of stopping after 4
> hours of usage, provided I stop every now and then to swim, etc.
>
> --
> Paul
> Email - paultsai at gmail.com
>
> There were moments when he looked on evil simply as a mode through which he
> could realize his conception of the beautiful.
> Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray

Brad Midgley