FR works but can't charge battery

Steve Leung sjleung at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 28 18:33:01 CET 2009

Hi.  I hope someone can help here...

My FreeRunner can't charge its battery.  Even when plugged in to USB or
the wall, the phone can't/won't charge.  Eventually the battery
discharges completely and although I have an external charger, this
isn't good.

I've also verified the same problem with a friend's Nokia BL-5C battery,
so it seems to be something wrong in the FreeRunner.

When ssh'ed in over USB, when I cat:

/sys/devices/platform/bq27000-battery.0/power_supply/bat/uevent

I get:

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=bat
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Discharging
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=4220000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=171750
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=1122051
POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=243
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_EMPTY_NOW=23700
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_FULL_NOW=3932100
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=96
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=0

The phone used to charge fine.  I've tried reflashing to FSO milestone 4
and the most recent FDOM with no differences.  I haven't tried anything
newer, but it doesn't really sound like that would make much of a
difference.

The only thing I can sort of correlate to it breaking is when I started
using one of those car USB adapters to charge the phone in the car.

So that might have broken something (?), but what are the odds that this
is fixable?  Who might be able to diagnose or repair it?

I really hope there's something I can do because without the ability to
charge or even run from the wall, this FreeRunner is pretty much
useless.

Thanks for any help.

Steve