[2008.testing] several package problems

Thomas Otterbein th.otterbein at gmx.net
Sun Jan 4 19:30:09 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm using last year's latest testing kernel and rootfs (build 2008-12-31) from
downloads.openmoko.org/daily and have added "The bleeding edge" testing
repository in /etc/opkg/testing.conf as described on
wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Download. No further changes, like other theme etc.,
applied (yet).

1. Problem

Comic-Reader can be installed but does come up with an "Application run
error". Started from a terminal it shows:

DEBUG: (comic_main.c, 233): main: Comic book directory is:
/usr/share//comic_reader/comic/
/usr/bin/comic_reader: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/comic_reader: undefined
symbol: evas_list_append

I guess I need to install some other packages but I can't find any hint which
one that would be. Any clues?

2. Problem
FBReader seems to be available in a laopter revision.

opkg list | grep -i fbreader shows:

fbreader - 0.8.2a-r5 - FBreader is an ebook reader
fbreader - 0.8.2a-r7+elleopatches -
fbreader-dbg - 0.8.2a-r5 - FBreader is an ebook reader
fbreader-dev - 0.8.2a-r5 - FBreader is an ebook reader
fbreader-doc - 0.8.2a-r5 - FBreader is an ebook reader
fbreader-locale - 0.8.2a-r5 - FBreader is an ebook reader

However trying to install one of them by opkg install fbreader shows:

Multiple packages (fbreader and fbreader) providing same name marked HOLD or
PREFER.  Using latest.
Multiple packages (fbreader and fbreader) providing same name marked HOLD or
PREFER.  Using latest.
Installing fbreader (0.8.2a-r7+elleopatches) to root...
Collected errors:
 * ERROR: Package fbreader (parent fbreader) is not available from any
configured src.
 * Failed to download fbreader. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?

Again a missing or not anymore existing packages I guess. But How do I solve
such issues in opkg? For example how do I force it to use the earlier version?
The option -force-downgrade does not seem to make any difference. Neither does
opkg update, as stated in the error message nor a more drastic approach of
deleting the cache in /var/lib/opkg/*.

3. Problem
OMoney does not start because of missing module optparse from OptionParser.
However I solved this problem accidentally by installing Tichy. But my
question is if I run into such a problem what would be the best way to solve
it? A opkg list | grep -i python did not show any package that has either
"optparse" or "OptionParser" in it's name or description.

BTW. none of the installed Tichy applications does start but I guess in it's
early state of development that is too much to expect... ;-)

I would be gratefull for any hints you can provide me with. As a Debian-User I
thought I would be able to resolve these issues but it seems that I'm not yet
experienced enough with my four week old Freerunner.

Best Regards
  thomas