GTA02 is now an expensive brick

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 05:49:37 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Lucas Lacroix <raijinsetsu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm saddened by the fact that a phone that was supposed to be released to
> the masses can have such a blatant failing. Not only can it NOT turn on when
> the battery has little or no charge, the APM service does not turn the phone
> off to prevent this (note: all OTHER phones I have ever used WILL turn off
> when the battery gets below some critical level).

I'd like to add here that the OTHER phones generalisation probably isn't
correct. My previous handheld device was a Zire 72 Palm Pilot and it does
exactly the same as the Freerunner (allows itself to die only to be saved by
a 16+ hour USB trickle charge) with the notable exception that you
can't access the battery without opening the case.

And my current 3G/UMTS phone has DRM on the powercharger. You can only use
an "authorised" charger else it shuts down after a minute of charging when
the authentication fails. Feel proud that an Open phone can be powered by
it's own brand, a competing brand (Nokia) or just some wires and common
batteries ;-)