bad time_and_date from gpsd again

Daniel Willmann daniel at openmoko.org
Wed Jan 14 20:33:04 CET 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:50:40 +0000
Al Johnson <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Sten Kvamme wrote:
> > The following shows some strange behaviour from gpsd. The current
> > time is 19.18 and year 2008-01-14. Why is the time incorrect from
> > gpsd?
> >
> > root at om-gta01:~# telnet localhost 2947
> > GPSD,D=1999-11-30T23:59:46.00Z
>
> Because that's the time that it cold starts with, and will keep
> reporting it until it gets the correct time from a satellite. If you
> feed it a time with an AID-INI message then it'll report that time
> until it gets the correct one from a satellite. The correct time is
> one of the first things it picks up, so it will appear even before it
> has a location fix.

Right and wrong. It will pick up GPS time relatively fast and that is
all it needs to get a fix. In order to receive the additional data for
UTC (leap seconds) you will need to wait a bit. This data is stored in
AID-HUI so once you got that data reacquiring the right time will be
really quick.

Since you talked about gpsd (I am assuming you're not using FSOs ogpsd
and compatibility layers) the aiding stuff will not work and you will
need to wait for the right time for some while after powering on the
GPS.

Regards,
Daniel Willmann