help for newbie, and some python

Anthony Winter awtel at sayne.org
Wed Jun 3 08:55:11 CEST 2009

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009, Robin Paulson wrote:
> 2009/6/3 Anthony Winter <awtel at sayne.org>:
> > OK, good start. But - assuming that it does run from a command line (and I
> > still haven't found a terminal yet, but there must be one somewhere), what
> > are the steps in getting it run by 'clicking' on an icon, in
paroli/illume?
> > That's the missing bit...
>
> i assumed you were connected via ssh, and could get at a terminal that way

er no, I want to write apps that will be used on the phone. In the field. In a
hurry, sometimes.

> i can't remember if there is a terminal in om2009 or not - i think
> there is, and it's pretty good. have you discovered illume ie the
> desktop yet? if not, you might want to go to
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Paroli#FAQ
> specifically, "how do i get illume?"

I have discovered it, and while the initial frustration level has receded, I
still haven't got the hang of it yet. I'm beginning to see why Apple have
captured the non-geek market.

> where all your questions will be answered

Not really. For example, the OM2009 link is to Elementary, which looks neat,
but a) it's not gtk, and b) it's in C, and life (and in particular, the
possible life of a Neo) is too short to write apps in C. So I need something
with python bindings.

> the wiki is great, have search - there's mountains of useful info there

Weeeeeel, there is a lot there, but I haven't yet found the key to doing what
I want...

--
Ant