[om2009-r4] Warren's Settings Worked for Me (was Re: Om2009 testing release 4)

William Ray Yeager wyeager at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 06:29:08 CEST 2009

A critical friend of mine who has mocked my purchase of an
"unfinished" phone just told me that our connection was as good as a
landline!  I followed Warren's advice below and lowered control.5 to
80 (I'm naturally conservative) which has (so far) completely removed
the previously unbearable buzz my friend had observed on the other end
of the conversation.  Wow.  Now I might not need to solder in a new
capacitor!

For the demi-newbie:

Open /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmhandset.state
Scroll down to control.5 and in that section change the line under
'Mono Playback Volume' from "value 110" to "value 80".
Save file.
Call OM skeptic.
Gloat.

Warren said:

"I've always had people complain that they got a lot of static when
they called me - I thought I had the buzz problem in fact.   I just
spent the time to figure out how to use alsamixer to tweak things, and
if I set control.5 (Mono Playback Volume)  to 83 from above 100 like
I've seen in other gsmhandset.state files (ranging from 100 to 110
seems normal), I get a perfectly clear signal on the other end."