[Om2009] PIN & PUK

David Fokkema dfokkema at ileos.nl
Mon Jun 8 16:25:45 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 12:39 +0100, Al Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 08 June 2009, David Fokkema wrote:

> > > Thank you David for sharing your experience! I don't think we'll soon
> > > find anyone ready to test this (maybe with old SIM cards..). Could you
> > > please report all this to http://www.paroli-project.org/trac so it
> > > will not get lost in the mail archives. I think this is something
> > > quite important to be fixed..
> >
> > I might try a few times. Apparently, as long as you're not entering an
> > incorrect PUK code ten times, all is well. Of course, an unlocked phone
> > nearby is necessary to the whole procedure.
>
> Why? You can just use mdbus to enter the PUK and set the PIN:
>
> http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=specs.git;a=blob_plain;f=html/org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM.html;hb=HEAD#Unlock

Sure, but I didn't really know if paroli had already sent several
invalid PIN attempts as actual PUK attempts (and I thus had maybe only a
few attempts left). I really wanted to make sure I didn't lock my SIM
permanently. When running tests and keeping track of your failed
attempts, you'll be quicker running the actual AT commands, of course.
Thanks for the pointer BTW, didn't know this one. Maybe this deserves a
nice wiki page.

David