More than 7 partitions on the SD

Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano monto84 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 00:10:20 CET 2009

Il giorno lun, 09/03/2009 alle 23.48 +0200, Timo Juhani Lindfors ha
scritto:
> "Pietro \"m0nt0\" Montorfano" <monto84 at gmail.com> writes:
> > Sooo, how it's that possible?? Why can't we simply patch the driver
> > which make the mmcblk device to let us create all the devices?
>
> drivers/mmc/block.c has the limit:
>
> /*
>  * max 8 partitions per card
>  */
> #define MMC_SHIFT       3
> #define MMC_NUM_MINORS  (256 >> MMC_SHIFT)
>
> Feel free to change but I doubt this will be accepted upstream.

Well this could be a solution, openmoko may compile that (mmcblk) as a
module (need to verify that) and we or I can provide an opk that
overwrite the default module with the patched one. I don't pretend to
post something like that upstream of course, there's a standard and i'd
like to respect it upstream, but internally (only for gta02 or openmoko)
there can be a patched module version.
Another solution shuld be to change the uSD card reader identification
(inserting the USB card reader in the pc the peripherals are sd* device)
so it's not related to the uSD but the identification and association is
related to the uSD reader, so it should be possible to identify our uSD
card reader as sd* device and not mmcblk device. Doing something similar
could be posted upstram, if it's obviously possible to change the device
identification.
I'm a lazy boy so i really want to have all the distro on tha uSD, also
some testing version and so on ;D

I'll try to make some changes to that driver..

Thanks a lot!

Pietro