More than 7 partitions on the SD

Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano monto84 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:11:47 CET 2009

Il giorno mer, 11/03/2009 alle 12.08 -0400, Stefan Monnier ha scritto:
> > Hi, i've bought a 4GB uSD and i've partitioned it to try and test a lot
> > of distro, done 10 partitions (1 for kernel and 1 extended for logical
> > partitions) booted and.... only 7 partitions shown, no prob, i've read
>
> If all those can use the same kernel, I'd do it as follows:
> - a /boot partition containing the kernel plus a minimal system which
>   just allows you to choose which distribution to use.
> - a LVM partition on which you can create all the volumes you want.

WOW LVM on a phone :D
LVM could be the solution, your idea is good and here is mine. Due to
uboot i don't think that an initrd could be done, but we can make the
following (tell me if i'm crazy): boot to a single
partition /dev/mmcblk0p1 with a minimal system (kernel with lvm inside,
sbin dir with mount, chroot and the lvm bins), make a menu in something
like courses or similar, and then chroot to the choosen partition and
continue booting.
Does this make sense?

Pietro