FR: Problems, problems: please help

Tom Yates madhatter at teaparty.net
Wed Mar 25 13:16:09 CET 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Toni Mueller wrote:

> can we perhaps agree on "all hardware usable on a daily basis"?

my 'moko, which is the same hardware rev. as yours, is my daily usable
phone.

it took 3 days of solid work to make the phone usable when i first got it.
with later revisions, this time has decreased, due mostly to improvements
in the distros, and partly to my increased familiarity with the device.

if it's of any use to you, my step-by-step guide to what i did to my moko
to get it working on 2008.12, with links to some earlier writeups, can be
found at http://www.teaparty.net/technotes/openmoko-3.html .

> Yes, but documentation is _poor_.

to be honest, i found the documentation excellent - but very widely
distributed; it's not all on the wiki, nor on any one website.  this
doesn't surprise me, as the 'moko is such a general-purpose device, but i
agree that it's unhelpful if you're starting from cold.

i urge you to persevere with your 'moko.  people do regularly use exactly
that model as a daily 'phone, with a variety of distros, though it does
take some work.

--

   Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net