[HW] microSD card mount needs redesign

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 26 07:06:07 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 10:15 -0700, xChris wrote:

> As you can have a live system running from the uSD, I don't think its was a good
> idea for the Openmoko to have a uSD slot that would allow removal/insertion
> without shutting down the FR...

> It is not very user friendly, I have to admit. I wish there was a slot
> that would allow for removal/insertion without shutting down the FR.
> (same for the SIM card, if that's possible)

look at the treo650 - externally accessible SD card and sim card - you
can even get dual sim holders to easily switch between providers.  If
you are not running an OS from the SD (many dont) its great being able
to put the SD card in a laptop for data transfer - the FR is soooo
slooowwwwww :)

The sim/sd card holder on the FR is so lacking in usability considering
what else is in the marketplace - but then again, they designed it
without a stylus holder ...

A case of 20-20 hindsight perhaps?

BillK