[HW] Ear phones with microphone, for hands-free calling?

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Sat Mar 28 16:20:11 CET 2009

> external in-ear head set that also features a microphone be a good
> thing to have for this device.

afaik the package included a wired headset too.

> I mean, there is already a 2.5mm socket
> for an ear phone, but I know neither of such a head set (although there
> should be some in the market),

resellers of the fr do imo offer the matching headset.
for other see either the archives or the wiki. there have been lengthy
discussions about working headsets and pinouts months ago and i think,
someone has compiled that information into a wiki article.

> nor do I know whether the FR can
> distinguish whether it has only an ear phone or an ear phone with a
> microphone plugged in (and then use that for recording voice).

should depend on the pin.

> microphone, right? We have a hands-free-while-driving law in Germany,
> too...

sure, but i am not sure, if handsfree equals headset. at least headphones
are forbidden (even for bicycles, but nobody cares).