FR: Problems, problems: please help

B bburdette at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 22:50:21 CEST 2009

Toni Mueller wrote:

> I am prepared to live with the device if I can verify that it has no
> significant hardware bug (=defect), which I can't determine ATM.

Hey Toni;

Having tried the initial 2008 release that came with the phone, upgraded
to 2008.12 and then changed to SHR, I'd advise giving the latest
iteration of SHR-testing a try.  I've found it to be fairly stable and
usable, although not everything is totally ironed out.  I can make and
receive phone calls reliably, wifi works (although the GUI app for
connecting does not).  GPS is reported to work, although I haven't tried
very hard to get mine working - I can say it doesn't work for me in my
living room, but neither does any other gps.

A strong point with SHR-testing for me is the battery life.  Its often
still usable the next day, and suspend and un-suspend works well.  The
last SHR left wifi on all the time, which was a huge drain.

I think you mentioned using the phone as a music player - I hear that
the sound reproduction is not the greatest from the moko, that there's
no bass because of a hardware issue.  Its probably possible to do some
compensation for this with software, but from what I understand the
GTA02 will never be a high fidelity sound source like an IPod.

The other issue I have with the phone is the lack of volume in the
earpiece in SHR.  I can converse fine at home, but in noisy environments
its a problem.  There's no GUI volume adjust, and changing the levels in
the config files can result in echo for whoever you're talking with.
Still, its better for the current SHR-testing release than for the
previous one.

Ben