Ethernet over USB and UDEV

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sun May 3 23:13:44 CEST 2009

Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> writes:

> Somebody who cares enough might code support for setting the MAC and
> make it per default the same as the BT mac

Sure, I know this, but my original question was more a generic one,
concerning Ethernet over USB devices.

If we have no way of identifying this type of hardware, then devices
like USB Host to Host cables can never really be configured in any
sane way.

These type of "cables" presents itself to the operating system as
Ethernet over USB devices, ie, network cards, but without any MAC
address. This address has to be given by the operating system.

If the operating system has no way to identify them, then there can
never be a configuration that will last.

My real question is really, if there is no MAC address, does these
kind of devices have any other identifier, like f.ex a serial number
or something unique that can be read with udevinfo?.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m