Ethernet over USB and UDEV

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Tue May 5 00:51:46 CEST 2009

Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> writes:

> the gadget would be in control and a well-behaved gadget could have
> a constant MAC (or not, as it happens, but this wouldn't be a
> general property of Ethernet over USB devices).

Well, it is a general problem, because it's something outside the
gadget that sets this MAC address. In the case of Neo, it is Neo
itself that would set the MAC address for its Ethernet over USB
interface.

It is a general problem and obviously broken by design, if you ask
me. We have no way to know what you've just plugged into your
computer.

If you got two Host to Host cables, there is no way to assign a
specific MAC address to either of them that would survive a computer
reboot.

With a Neo, you could program individually all your devices to a
different static MAC address, but this would not work with stuff like
Host to Host cables.

This is because such a device itself has no way to set its own MAC
address. Additionally, because the OS can't identify the device
uniquely, it cannot assign it a MAC address that would be consistent
every time you plug it in.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m