Om2009 testing release 4

Chris Jenks chris at jenks.us
Fri May 22 17:24:28 CEST 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Alexander Shulgin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just flashed the latest images and now I get this on boot:
>
> In: /var/cache: No space left on device
> (+ a few more, /var/lock among them)
>
> The phone boots up to om-gta02 login prompt.  X doesn't start and usb
> networking doesn't work either.
>
> Tried to reformat uSD card, but this didn't help (didn't expect this
> to work, however).
>
> What can I do about the problem?  Anyone else getting the same?
>
> --
> Alex

   I didn't even notice the /var/cache problem (wasn't paying attention),
and I haven't had any problem with the X server, but I can confirm the usb
networking problem - I don't get a usb0 interface on my connected desktop
as I did with the testing version from the 9th. Also, I tracked the
problem down to the root image - the u-boot and kernel images, flashed
back to the working images on the 9th, don't fix the problem. I also
noticed an error when flashing u-boot posted right after the release 4
announcement yesterday:

[...]
Starting download: [##################################################]
finished!
state(10) = dfuERROR, status(1) = File is not targeted for use by this
device
Done!

but this morning I noticed that an updated u-boot was posted later
yesterday, and it flashes without error.

I'm having another serious problem with this release aside from networking
- I haven't been able to get illume to show. The screen never changes
after I change the display setting, as it did with release 3. However,
when I reflashed release 3 I couldn't get it working then either. I can
only guess I have bad blocks being flashed to? :-( I also have started
getting errors before or during the download with dfu-util, like this:

chris at tinklebell:~/neo/2009$ sudo dfu-util -a rootfs -R -D
fso-paroli-image-om-gta02.jffs2
dfu-util - (C) 2007 by OpenMoko Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000...
Found Runtime: [0x1d50:0x5119] devnum=81, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=6,
name="rootfs"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x1000
bytes_per_hash=1793064
Starting download: [###############dfu_download error -71
Error during download

Maybe I just have a bad usb cable, but I was surprised there were no
google hits for this error number.

Chris