Best graphics performance?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Wed May 27 14:39:08 CEST 2009

Yorick Moko wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Sebastian Spaeth <sebastian at sspaeth.de>
> wrote:
>> Yorick Moko wrote:
>>> it's very clear that atm the FR doesn't have the horsepower it needs
>>> to run navit
>>
>> Hehe, do you want to imply that the FR will gain more horsepower over
>> time? Highly unlikely :). Optimizing navit and reducing other apps RAM
>> usage will of course help, but I doubt that the distros will make the
>> hardware much faster ;P
>
> :)
> no i mean't it doesn't have the hp to run the current version of navit
> i would really like to see navit become usable...
>
> had anyone tried  a navigation program under android (andnav?) on the fr?
> might be interesting to port it maybe if it works well...

Not really. Ok, it works well.
But it is tiles based and does routing via a webservice. Therefore it is
very dependent on a good internet connection.
You can cache tiles, but it is still tiles. I don't like the idea.

I would much rather have a vector based program working well.
And if you look around, there are a lot around by now for different mobile
platforms. I don't think any of these has considerably more horsepower
then a FR.
A small cheap Satnav (hardware) has probably less power then a FR. But
they run well.
I'm certain it is doable on a freerunner.
Don't ask me what to do, I'm not a computer scientist. But I'm sure it
would be possible.

--
MFG
 Tilman Baumann