need sugestions

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Fri Nov 20 09:15:42 CET 2009

Iurii <yuri at reverseenterprises.com> writes:
> i have just received my openmoko Neo Freerunner + (Developer board)
> i wanted to ask a few question before developing
> 1. which software the openmoko uses to control OS (standart terminal wont
> work?)

You can use any software you like. I am using xterm just like on my PC.

> 2. How to make a backup if reflashing
> again i read the wiki but i want to listen opinions

My PC has /etc/cron.daily/backup-neo that backups the phone if it is
connected during night:

#!/bin/bash
# /etc/cron.daily/backup-neo
echo please check /home/scratch/neo/`date -I`.log
rsync --delete -axv --numeric-ids 192.168.4.202:"/ /boot" /home/scratch/neo/latest 2> /home/scratch/neo/latest.log
ret=$?

case $ret in
0)
        # backup done, let's save it
        cp -al /home/scratch/neo/latest /home/scratch/neo/`date -I`
        mv /home/scratch/neo/latest.log /home/scratch/neo/`date -I`.log
        ;;
12)
        # neo was not at home
        ;;
*)
        echo "backup failed with return value $ret"
        ;;
esac

I don't reflash/reinstall, I only upgrade packages with debian.

> 4.does the factory OS support GTK+ or i have to reflash it?
> because i have a program based on my needs i wrote it before

Frankly I have no idea what the factory OS even is nowadays.

> 5.and how to actually browse the OS files i found out dfu-util should be
> like a terminal?
> can i get a small tutorial for that?

Just use ssh?