CellHunter legend

Walery Strauch walery at online.de
Mon Nov 23 05:45:00 CET 2009

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Walery Strauch <walery at online.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my CellHunter on SHR (pre-nov2009-core-updates) shows me:
>>
>> Provider:       o2 - de (262/07)
>> Cell:           A102 / EA0E / 25
>>
>> I was trying to find some documentation about this but in vain...
>> So my guess is this:
>>
>> Provider:       o2 - de (MCC/MNC)
>> Cell:           LAC / cellID / signalStrength
>>
> Correct!
>> but what says signalStrength?
>> Is 25 much?
> It comes from the FSO library that allows access to the GSM hardware (
> http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=specs.git;a=blob_plain;f=html/org.freesmartphone.GSM.Monitor.html;hb=HEAD#GetNeighbourCellInformation

Thats really fine, I think it can help me to automatic some things I
need, thanks...

> ). In cellhunter, signal strength is defined as "(rxlevel / 2) +2"

Where did you find this? In code of cellhunter? Where can I get the
code?

> where rxlevel is Recieved Field Level as a percentage. So 25 would be
> almost half strength? I'm getting values between 12 and 18 so that's
> not very good but my phone service isn't always stable.

Is strength a linear function, or some quadratic, logarithmic, ...?

>> What is the maximum?
> 52? You would have to be very close to get that, I'm sure.
>> How to find out which cell is on house of my neighbor?
> There are some tools for accessing the Cellhunter database at the
> bottom of the website - http://ch.omoco.de/cellhunter/
> I think you would have to download the CSV GPS and plot/filter the
> points to find which cell covers which house.

I know this tool... But cell I was searching is not there, so I try it
by my self.

>> Has cell on one house only one MNC, or are there splits for the provider?
> Each SIM card can only pick up one MNC/network but one house may be
> covered by several networks/MNC.

Are there possibilities to find out how much provider are on one house?

Very very THANKS!

Walrey ;o)