how can I make phone call with open moko? (perhaps is a battery issue)

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Thu Oct 8 11:41:20 CEST 2009

Hi. I am a developer but most of my time is spent on web application and
daily business & life. I ordered the free runner in the hope that i can
use it for my daily phone, then I will be more motivated to improve it.

In 2008 the phone arrived with battery life of less than one day,
because it doesn't suspend right. I put it on the self as I cannot use
it. Two months ago a friend gets SHR running on it which looks much more
useful than it was before, but sometimes when it suspend, a phone call
can wake it up, sometimes it doesn't, and usually at the end of a day it
cannot wake up (in the morning it works fine, perhaps because it is
newly charged).

Instead of exploring all 10 distributions and try different versions of
each, my simple answer as a user (not a developer for openmoko yet) is,
what can I do to make my free runner work as an ordinary phone? An
ordinary phone allows me to dail whenever I need it and doesn't fail
that, it also accepts incoming call for a day or so after charged. I can
live without phone book / calendar / calculator / radio / gps etc, but I
couldn't use it if it is not usable as a phone.

I have a feeling when it is suspended the machine still consumes a lot
of power. When it is awake it takes -204mA power according to SHR's
Setting -> Power (the -204mA is confusing so I take it as 204mA), my
battery is 1200mAh so it lasts 5 hours when fully awaken, but it lasted
such long time when most time unused (and turned black). I believe when
I don't use it it is suspended because when phone call comes in it
scrolls a lot of text which look like kernel resume message before
offering me to pick up the phone.

I also wonder how many other buyers of free runner use it as daily phone
and how reliable it is as a phone?