MP3 'capable' [was: Meida player.]

rakshat hooja rakshat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:08:44 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at qi-hardware.com>wrote:

> Rakshat,
>
> > >  Actually Mplayer plays the MP3 with the user installed plugin (libmad
> or
> > eqvalent). Intone is just the frontend for Mplayer so no patent probs
> with
> > it
>
> Yes but we have to be careful that MP3 doesn't 'sneak in' somewhere.
> The moment anybody is selling a FreeRunner 'capable' of playing MP3, the
> patent guys have a case. 'Capable' can be a series of steps, including
> installing some software, etc.
> However, the moment those steps involve a resource out of control of the
> seller of the FreeRunner (say a random Internet URL), they have no case.
>
> Now with the vast pool of free software, what can easily happen is that
> MP3,
> MP4 etc. 'sneaks into' the product. Then someone downstream forgets that
> it's
> there, or it's very hard to remove, and falls into the trap.

Yes I did follow the Openmoko Mp3 patent issues a long while back.

 I just wanted to ask you if things are ok re MP3 patents in the following
scenario

We sell a device with no 'working' MP3 capablities but a preinstalled Music
player. The music player can take plugins and its website visibly recommends
downloading a plugin that enables MP3. Is the seller ok in this situation re
MP3 patents?

Rakshat