[SHR-Testing[ Trouble with 16Gb microSDHC

Joachim Ott jo.omsl at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 1 17:10:38 CET 2010

2010/1/1 Konstantin <Chaosspawn23 at gmx.net>:
> Good morning and a happy new year!
>
> I have a weird problem when trying to boot from my shiny new Sandisk 16Gb µSDHC:
> I made a single partition on it and created an ext3fs on it, to which I copied
> the contents of the tarball for my fabourite distribution (the latest shr testing).
> However, when booting, after the boot picture (tux with the shr logo on his
> belly) gets displayed, I get the following error messages, and nothing else happens:
>
> journal_bmap:  journal block not found at offset 14 on mmcblk0p1
> Aborting journal on device mmcblk0p1
> ext3_abort called.
> Ext3-fs error (device mmcblk0p1): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
> Remounting filesystem read-only
>
> I reformatted the card various times before, the last time even with the
> thorough block check mkfs.ext3 provides (mkfs.ext3 -c -c), in order to check
> wether the card is damaged in any way, but to no avail.
> When using ext2 instead of ext3, the problem seems to be different, usually the
> boot process itself works, but at some point enlightenment simply segfaults.
>
> Do any of you have an idea what goes wrong here? Maybe there's a problem with my
> Qi and big SD cards?
> I really need that big card to work... :(

Why do you insist on booting from sd-card? You can boot from NAND and
still use the whole card, mounting one big partition, or what I
prefer, several smaller partitions.

To find out what's going wrong:

- try u-boot instead of Qi
- boot from a smaller partiton on sd-card, 2 or 4 GB

See also http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SanDisk/SDSDQ-016G-E11M